Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thoughts on becoming greener or going green confusion

I've been trying lately (as many people have been) to make a few changes that are more eco-friendly. It seems today that you see companies greening up everywhere, but it gets a little overwhelming trying to find info.

Let's see, I switched all of my light bulbs to fluorescent (saved 45.00 on my subsequent bill), went with bamboo flooring, energy star appliances, buy organic food, and low voc paints. I know it's baby steps, but even "greenish" helps, right?

The problem I'm having with trying to further my green experience is either the item I want to change to is hard to come by (denim eco-friendly insulation) or the cost is way out of the ballpark for normal consumers (organic mattress, bedding, etc). Why is the cost still so high on this stuff when people have been into organics for years? I guess that's one good thing about all of the mainstreaming of "going green"; maybe it will bring the supply of reasonably priced eco-friendly goods down to prices that normal humans can pay. I think a big opportunity was missed down here in New Orleans because we all want to rebuild smarter and greener but either the availability wasn't there or the cost astronomical.

I'm all for less chemicals around my family, less carbon emissions and more natural goods, but where is the outcry from us demanding companies go green en mass so that everyday joes can afford to join the club? Like I said, it's very confusing and for now I'm just "greenish".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A company called Bonded Logic makes the denim insulation. I didn't see louisiana in the distributor area though. Maybe it could be imported?

toronto kitchen renovations said...

To make our home more deccorative and to make it environment friendly we have to use plants for decoration